Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

Where is everyone?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Bird (this time) 
#1 ·
Where's is everyone? The forum has gotten pretty quiet lately. Hope you all are doing fine.

#3 ·
Going through MIL’s home in preparation of an estate sale.
She is alive and well in assisted living, but she will never be able to live independently any more.
Amazing memories we are finding. Documents and naturalization papers from her grandfather who immigrated here from Europe and so on.
Old, old coins by the hundreds. And a whole lot of junk that is in trash bags.

Reactions: baby
#4 ·
I’m still working my 4 on 4 off. Playing on my days off getting ready for spring to arrive. It’s snowing, and accumulating, as I type this. I’ll have snow to shovel in the morning now.

#7 ·
Ranch life...

Plus I kind of figured that 8 out of the 12 people who watch my blunders hunting hogs on YouTube are from this site, and that there is no reason to spam here with the same stuff over and over.

I suspect an uptick in activity and membership as deer hunting season gets closer. Typical increase in inquiries as to where the big bucks stay on public land etc...

#8 ·
I have been hunting crappie regular. 1.5 acre pond not suitable for crappie, someone bucket planted some white crappie and they have taken over the pond and ate all the bait fish and are raiding the nests of the bass, bluegill and catfish we have in the pond. They are stunted and thin.

Our neigborhood is mostly young working families. I am retired and have time on my hands. I have made it my "civic duty" to remove the crappie from the pond, one cast at a time, one fish at a time. This actually is a pretty good looking female, but she is only 7 inches long. Filleted you get next to nothing in meat. But my possum loves them.

#10 ·
I have been hunting crappie regular. 1.5 acre pond not suitable for crappie, someone bucket planted some white crappie and they have taken over the pond and ate all the bait fish and are raiding the nests of the bass, bluegill and catfish we have in the pond. They are stunted and thin.

Our neigborhood is mostly young working families. I am retired and have time on my hands. I have made it my "civic duty" to remove the crappie from the pond, one cast at a time, one fish at a time. This actually is a pretty good looking female, but she is only 7 inches long. Filleted you get next to nothing in meat. But my possum loves them.

View attachment 6431
My uncle had 1/2 acre pond that had some crappie put in it back in the day. In two years, there were hundreds in that little bit of water. We ended up throw netting, tossing back the little bass and perch while tossing the crappie on the bank for the *****.
A badger solved the problem finally by digging into the base of the dam, creating a leak, and finally a wash out.

#9 ·
Been lurking in the shadows waiting for someone to post something of interest to reply to!
Diggler, I like watching your videos posted here. I'll go find your Youtube channel and watch there.
DD - first glance that crappie is a slab....then realize the lure is probably close to 3" in length. 7" and now I understand! Similar to some sand bass we'd catch - really small and not enough of a filet for a taco but my friend always keeps and takes the little filets along with the bigger ones. We'll toss the small ones back - mostly when he's not looking!

I plan to post more as we make improvements on our land purchase from last year. New pole barn to stay in. Electricity hooked up. Well being drilled. Food plots being maintained along with mineral trace and salt blocks. Planting in May then Sept.

Murph, never heard back from John - how'd the turkey hunt go?

#14 ·
Been lurking in the shadows waiting for someone to post something of interest to reply to!
Diggler, I like watching your videos posted here. I'll go find your Youtube channel and watch there.
DD - first glance that crappie is a slab....then realize the lure is probably close to 3" in length. 7" and now I understand! Similar to some sand bass we'd catch - really small and not enough of a filet for a taco but my friend always keeps and takes the little filets along with the bigger ones. We'll toss the small ones back - mostly when he's not looking!

I plan to post more as we make improvements on our land purchase from last year. New pole barn to stay in. Electricity hooked up. Well being drilled. Food plots being maintained along with mineral trace and salt blocks. Planting in May then Sept.

Murph, never heard back from John - how'd the turkey hunt go?
He was able to get a nice tom. Enjoyed having him here and glad I could offer him a place to hunt. Truly a great guy.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I'm still trying to get freed up from work to have a life. As soon as I stop working 60 hours a week and weekends, I'll have some leisure time back to share. I'm itching to get the kayak out and start fishing, plus I was going to really try to shoot a turkey with my longbow this spring. Regular life is still somewhat on hold thanks to COVID. Since ya'll (the general public) aren't too interested in vaccines anymore, my job might start becoming a little less busy. We'll have to wait and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.