Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I sent my encore down the road so it is now time for a new muzzleloader. The shops I have talked to so far are still telling me knight is dead and gone and that breaks my heart as I had my mind locked in on a new knight. Now I am at a loss, I dont know what to buy. My only requirements are 209 ignition and stainless steel and 50 cal.

I am NOT a CVA fan after having one about 15 years ago that was total junk and I ended up throwing in the trash dump. I tried a Rem 700ml but that thing should come with a gun bearer to lug it around for you all day. I had a MK85 that was my BABY and I kept it till the barrel looked like my 12 gauge. I had a NEF Huntsman that was new and never fired in my gun case when I got robbed a few years ago, but that one is no longer made either I am told

I am leaning towards a Omega right now, but wanted to ask you guys for some recommendations too. Thanks guys

·
Registered
840 Posts
I really love my Encore. It's a 209x50 Stainless/black synthetic.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I have the Savage Stainless, smokeless MZ. Tack driving gun shooting a 250 grain Hornady XTP at 2400fps.
Unfortunatly, Savage discontinued this to lack of sales. I'll probably be shooting this until I can't hunt any longer.
If you want to get into the smokeless line of MZ, there are several speciality companys out there making them. I hated the clean up, and so on of the black powder models.
I also had a MK-85. Bought from Tony Knight when he was selling from his machine shop. Great gun, but when he sold the name, the quality went down hill. It was stolen from me along with other guns several years ago. Had a lifetime warrenty of 1 1/2" group at 100 yds.
I don't follow the BP models, so I can't help.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the encore 209x50 and 300 win mag stainless with synthetic and walnut thumbhole stock sets, nice gun, just not for me. I dont like hitting anything with a hammer and punch that has a $400 nikon bolted on top! After I ruined the second hinge pin and had to next day 1 from cabelas I just quit changing barrels.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Did it shear the hinge pin? I haven't googled the problem, but since you owned it, was it a common problem?

·
Registered
840 Posts
My hinge pin just falls right out using the Encore tool (plastic T-handle with flathead screwdriver). I always coat the hinge pin with a little oil before reinstalling it. Works like a charm! And I bought mine new about 7 years ago.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Hitting it with a hammer and punch? WOW. Ive never had to do that to mine. It falls out with poke from my finger. Wonder if the pin hole was cut just a hair to small?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I shoot the Omega in Black synthetic with the Thumbhole stock & Blued barrel they are far more accurate then the SS Barrel.
Never had one problem or issue with it...Got it for under $300.00 @ Wal-Mart.
Sub-Moa's with just the fiber optic sights @ 100 yards.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Have you looked into the Traditions ML's. I have a Traditions Evolution in .54 that shoots really well for me. I also have BPI New frontier in .50 that puts bullets through the same hole out to 75y and 5 shots in 3" at 150y.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Of all the things I've had goofy on my Encore, the hinge pins were not one of them. After I found the right primers, she's a shooter.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
So, primers made a difference in your encore? Which brand did you settle on?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
777 or Remingtons, started using Fiochi and they were waaay to hot. Had bypass burn at the breech face even. Milder 777 or Remmys will shoot just about any powder/load combo I've tried.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I use Winchester in my Traditions and Remmy Cleam bores in my BPI. Both shoot Goex FFg loose.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never sheared a pin but I did have to drive them in and out and on one occasion I guess it had a little grit around the pin and I actually mushroomed the pin until it would only go through one direction and didn't want to go all the way in. I had to rush order another one in right before season.

Bullbuster - I have not looked at traditions yet, I hadn't talked to anyone who shot one, but I will give them a look. Thanks

Gauge - What would make the blue barrels shoot better than SS ?? I'm really a fan of stainless on a muzzleloader because it is my absolute favorite season and I will hunt, rain snow, or freakin blizzard.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Farmboy- Every T/C owner, I have talked with or have shot with say & see that blued barrel T/C out perform Stainless Steel.
{My opinion on the matter, Is that the SS may heat up faster then the Blued & throw off accuracy}.

My Omega in blued has out shot other Omega's in SS & Encore's in SS.

I have never been a fan of SS barrels having owned 2.
Ruger M-77 MKII in 7mm Rem Mag w/26" SS barrel & Weatherby Mark5 feather lite in 300 Wby Mag with a 26" SS barrel.
Neither one of these rifles could shot sub-moa's @ 100 yards even with Weatherby ammo & Premium grade ammo. 1" -1 1/8" groups at best.
Also my Ruger rusted after being in the rain out hog hunting :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: .

If not looking for accuracy out side of best 1 1/2" groups @ 100 yards.
Then a SS shouldn't change your mind on getting one.

These are just examples of what, I went through with own SS barrels & shooting different T/C SS barrels as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, finally found what I was looking for. Picked up a NIB Knight Bighorn stainless with camo synthetic thumbhole stock, NWTF edition. Me a happy camper now! ;D ;D ;D How long til season starts??? :( :( :'(

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
We need pichers, pichers I say, pichers.

Hope you and the new Bessey do well

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Well, you've had 3 hours to post pitchers....... ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.