Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke down and bought a couple ******* T-Post gravity feeders yesterday. Long story short, the neighbors with the feeders are holding the deer right now, and I'm trying to bring deer closer to where my food plot will be.

Gas Plastic Electric blue Composite material Boot

I understand that if I am able to get the attention of deer, that they'll go through corn a lot faster. I'm fine with that, the one is just going to be used until the food plot is capable of being browsed on. The other I just want to use to keep deer away from the poachers off of the other side of the ranch...I don't care if I go through 300lbs of corn in order to do so.

I also understand the potential for squirrels and raccoons. I'm going to put PVC pipe around the base for the raccoons.

I know that there are better feeder setups, but I've sunk my money this year into other projects, so two T-post feeders it is.

I also know that deer here stinking love soured corn as much as the hogs do, I can start a bait pile and have deer at it the first night (was never the intention as I was always trying to get hogs). Anyway I figured I'd get a bunch of soured corn around the base of each feeder and see what happens.

Any tips on getting deer used to one of these? Any pitfalls to avoid?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
I used a couple bag style ones a few years back. The raccoons and deer tore them up.
YouTube has some great “How To” videos on making them from PVC pipes.
Aside from bears only, baiting is illegal here or I’d make a couple from PVC.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’ve never used that type of feeder, but I am using a gravity flow feeder here at my house in TX to keep the pigs from “hogging” all the corn. I was using a 350# Boss Buck feeder until last week when I realized the squirrels had eaten a hole in the top of it, so I have gone back to an old All Season all metal feeder that a friend gave me.
I use 1000# Boss Buck gravity feeders in OK to feed protein, but I had to add timers last year to control how much they could eat. The deer were emptying the 1000# feeder in 10-12 days, and my bank account can’t stand that not to mention the logistic of keeping it filled from over 400 miles away.

I think if you can keep the squirrels and raccoons from tearing your feeder up that should work fine.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
There is no keeping the squirrel or co..ons out but they work great. The fear will be hitting it within a few days has always been my experience. Put a camera out and post what’s hitting it be interesting finding out. Never knew they like soured corn. I don’t know that the apple flavors and things like that. There are no apple trees anywhere I hunt so how would these deer know the smell or that they like it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve never used that type of feeder, but I am using a gravity flow feeder here at my house in TX to keep the pigs from “hogging” all the corn. I was using a 350# Boss Buck feeder until last week when I realized the squirrels had eaten a hole in the top of it, so I have gone back to an old All Season all metal feeder that a friend gave me.
I use 1000# Boss Buck gravity feeders in OK to feed protein, but I had to add timers last year to control how much they could eat. The deer were emptying the 1000# feeder in 10-12 days, and my bank account can’t stand that not to mention the logistic of keeping it filled from over 400 miles away.

I think if you can keep the squirrels and raccoons from tearing your feeder up that should work fine.
I've heard of squirrel issues with these plastic feeders and them chewing through the top.

I don't have quite the deer population here that other areas in the near vicinity do. My cattle do a pretty good job of keeping them away. A mile from me the deer are thick...I'm just trying to draw a few more in. Hopefully I don't get eaten out of house and home.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no keeping the squirrel or co..ons out but they work great. The fear will be hitting it within a few days has always been my experience. Put a camera out and post what’s hitting it be interesting finding out. Never knew they like soured corn. I don’t know that the apple flavors and things like that. There are no apple trees anywhere I hunt so how would these deer know the smell or that they like it.
I actually used a lot of apple flavored corn last year and it worked great on deer. Unless I spooked my usual group of does, they'd be on it every morning and evening. Shot both my bucks last year as they were coming in to check on the does. However, regular corn works well on deer too...so there's that.

Soured corn has been a deer magnet in my experience. Doesn't matter if I used cherry, grape, or fruit punch Kool-aid powder...one can to 100lbs corn was enough. Just be aware that it works great on hogs, raccoons, and cows too.

I actually had some leftover soured corn that was sitting in a 5 gallon bucket here in the sun for the last 7 months (oops). I threw some out in two places last week and had deer all over it.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Back when I was working at Lumber 2 I used to get the busted 50# bags of 10% All stock (with molasses) and the cattle creep pellets and add to my corn. The deer loved the all stock the most but they would also pick out those creep pellets as well and eat just those.
I tried adding cool aid mix once and rice bran once as well. Some say that rice bran is like deer cocaine.
I really liked the crushed sugar beet powder. That’s what I shot that first Grady county WMA deer on. Back before they banned bait on WMAs.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, deer will also eat diesel soaked corn. I was told years ago that they wouldn’t, but after catching 3 in a pig trap, they obviously will come to it. :mad:
Why would one soak corn in diesel fuel in the first place?

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Never heard of the diesel before. If you put your feeder between a group of trees and wrap a little barbed wire around them the deer will jump in and it will keep your cattle out. The squirrel will definitely chew through the plastic

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Whenever we get too much rain leaving the corn on the ground soured, I have to move the feeder. The deer will quit coming to it. They sure don’t like it.
I’ve never used a gravity feeder but the neighbors have. After a season or two they move to feeders that use timers. One reason to use less corn but the main reason is to condition the deer to come to the feeder right after sunrise and just before dark.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whenever we get too much rain leaving the corn on the ground soured, I have to move the feeder. The deer will quit coming to it. They sure don’t like it.
I’ve never used a gravity feeder but the neighbors have. After a season or two they move to feeders that use timers. One reason to use less corn but the main reason is to condition the deer to come to the feeder right after sunrise and just before dark.
I would be willing to bet that conditioning deer to the sound of a feeder going off is probably advantageous over having feed available 24/7.

I hope to only use these for a year or two until I can figure out how to best manage my food plot (I'm a newbie at this). Right now, I'm all set up for late fall/winter, but didn't have any real draws for spring/summer. I'll be correcting that with some clover when I plant my fall plot. We will see...I'll probably end up getting some fancy feeder next year after my plot fails :D .

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This is the same experience I have had once it rains the deer will avoid any corn left on the ground I’ve even had it sprout little plants they just won’t touch it anymore.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would be willing to bet that conditioning deer to the sound of a feeder going off is probably advantageous over having feed available 24/7.

I hope to only use these for a year or two until I can figure out how to best manage my food plot (I'm a newbie at this). Right now, I'm all set up for late fall/winter, but didn't have any real draws for spring/summer. I'll be correcting that with some clover when I plant my fall plot. We will see...I'll probably end up getting some fancy feeder next year after my plot fails :D .
If you get a little time growing deer tv on YouTube has some really good episodes about food plots. Lot of info and tips shared.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you get a little time growing deer tv on YouTube has some really good episodes about food plots. Lot of info and tips shared.
Yes Grant Woods, as well as Jeff Sturgis of Whitetail Habitat Solutions have great channels for growing and maintaining food plots. I consider them my #1 resource for knowledge.

Unfortunately they all work land that is completely dedicated for food plots and hunting. They are also highly immersed in the trend of 'no-till plots' right now. I cannot plant buckwheat, switchgrass, or any other foreign plants next to hay meadows. Next thing you know I'll have cover crops/screening covering my grass.

However they still have a lot of information that works for me. I just have to tweak the heck out of it and figure my mid-late summer food source isn't going to be on my plot. Get deer used to a fall food source though and it won't matter if the deer all hang out on the neighbors from July-Sep.

My favorite clip of a Growing Deer T.V. segment is where Grant was consulting with a client over the phone..."We'll just take that seven acres of pasture and turn it into a high-volume plot." Not going to happen here :D .

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yes Grant Woods, as well as Jeff Sturgis of Whitetail Habitat Solutions have great channels for growing and maintaining food plots. I consider them my #1 resource for knowledge.

Unfortunately they all work land that is completely dedicated for food plots and hunting. They are also highly immersed in the trend of 'no-till plots' right now. I cannot plant buckwheat, switchgrass, or any other foreign plants next to hay meadows. Next thing you know I'll have cover crops/screening covering my grass.

However they still have a lot of information that works for me. I just have to tweak the heck out of it and figure my mid-late summer food source isn't going to be on my plot. Get deer used to a fall food source though and it won't matter if the deer all hang out on the neighbors from July-Sep.

My favorite clip of a Growing Deer T.V. segment is where Grant was consulting with a client over the phone..."We'll just take that seven acres of pasture and turn it into a high-volume plot." Not going to happen here :D .
Haha yeah I understand, he rarely mentions cattle and works mainly land dedicated to deer hunting.
do you not agree with the “no till” technique?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have found at my place here in TX that going to a gravity feeder has almost completely eliminated my pig problem. I only see pigs at my feeder about every six months or so, and they move on to easier pickings (my neighbors throw feeder). ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts