Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The buck in the first picture likes the gravity feeder I have out. It's behind a pond a long way from the creek. It doesn't get much action but when it does its always something of this caliber. I put the gravity feeder out there because if I had a timed feeder there it would be wasting feed to birds and Procyon lotor. With the gravity the feed is there when the pasture bucks find it. Not sure what's going on in the second picture. A buddy sent it to me but they look to be using one too.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
That looks like a bear feeding with elk in that second pic. You said your buddy sent that to you?

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
The buck in the first picture likes the gravity feeder I have out. It's behind a pond a long way from the creek. It doesn't get much action but when it does its always something of this caliber. I put the gravity feeder out there because if I had a timed feeder there it would be wasting feed to birds and Procyon lotor. With the gravity the feed is there when the pasture bucks find it. Not sure what's going on in the second picture. A buddy sent it to me but they look to be using one too.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Holy crap! Bear feeding with elk?
I’m suspecting some photo manipulation is in order?
If it’s true, that’s the shot of a lifetime!

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
I would be willing to bet that conditioning deer to the sound of a feeder going off is probably advantageous over having feed available 24/7.

I hope to only use these for a year or two until I can figure out how to best manage my food plot (I'm a newbie at this). Right now, I'm all set up for late fall/winter, but didn't have any real draws for spring/summer. I'll be correcting that with some clover when I plant my fall plot. We will see...I'll probably end up getting some fancy feeder next year after my plot fails :D .
Timed feeders are easy to build. You can get a timer for not much money these days. Add a drum and legs from scrap metal and your in business.
If you ever get in the Ponca area I have some drums to contribute to your cause.
You will love that clover. Once it gets established, it’s pretty much work free except for spraying once a year for weeds.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Holy crap! Bear feeding with elk?
I’m suspecting some photo manipulation is in order?
If it’s true, that’s the shot of a lifetime!
It’s a nice sized chocolate color phase bear. Went back to make sure it wasn’t a grizz.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you've got a 55 gallon drum all you really need to purchase is a cone and Magnum Hunting offers really reliable motor, I think it's the Star controller for around d $40. Ive had 2 of them last 20 years. Should be able to build a times feeder for under $100. We also have to compete with neighbors when it come to drawing deer and we offer several different food options. Besides corn the deer really seem to like cotton seed hulls and rice bran. They like the hulls more.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
These are all really good suggestions that I'm going to look into for next season. I like the idea of drawing the deer in with sound as well.

Found my hunting bullets (and for cheap too), so I bought about 15 - 20 years' worth.

My red-neck gravity feeders came in yesterday. Took them out to start getting some of that fresh plastic smell off before I set them up.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
If you've got a 55 gallon drum all you really need to purchase is a cone and Magnum Hunting offers really reliable motor, I think it's the Star controller for around d $40. Ive had 2 of them last 20 years. Should be able to build a times feeder for under $100. We also have to compete with neighbors when it come to drawing deer and we offer several different food options. Besides corn the deer really seem to like cotton seed hulls and rice bran. They like the hulls more.
We are close to the same area, where are you getting the cotton seed hulls?
My dad used them for mulch in the garden.
Never knew deer liked them.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
333 Posts
We are close to the same area, where are you getting the cotton seed hulls?
My dad used them for mulch in the garden.
Never knew deer liked them.
Loca
I’ve never done it but feeding cotton seed hulls is a big deal here in TX.
They bring them buy truck load to Wheeler Brothers to make feed and I get them from a guy who works in there. Really easy to find in SW OK with all the cotton production in that part of the country. You wouldn't think deer would like them. Dont look like much but they sure do clean it up.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You putting a camera on them? Shouldn’t be long before they get hit.
what kind of bullets did you stock up on?
I'll have a camera on them for sure.

I bought (1K) Mk319 Mod0 .308 bullets, (400) 129gr. Hornady Interlocks, and (300) more 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for the 6.5 man-bun.

I'm at the point where I think I'll be good on hunting components (minus magnum rifle primers) for quite a while, and that includes shooting hogs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So I broke down and bought a couple *** T-Post gravity feeders yesterday. Long story short, the neighbors with the feeders are holding the deer right now, and I'm trying to bring deer closer to where my food plot will be.

View attachment 6753

I understand that if I am able to get the attention of deer, that they'll go through corn a lot faster. I'm fine with that, the one is just going to be used until the food plot is capable of being browsed on. The other I just want to use to keep deer away from the poachers off of the other side of the ranch...I don't care if I go through 300lbs of corn in order to do so.

I also understand the potential for squirrels and raccoons. I'm going to put PVC pipe around the base for the raccoons.

I know that there are better feeder setups, but I've sunk my money this year into other projects, so two T-post feeders it is.

I also know that deer here stinking love soured corn as much as the hogs do, I can start a bait pile and have deer at it the first night (was never the intention as I was always trying to get hogs). Anyway I figured I'd get a bunch of soured corn around the base of each feeder and see what happens.

Any tips on getting deer used to one of these? Any pitfalls to avoid?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I have one of those. Put it out on a couple of places and had some decent luck with them coming in to eat and for a pic.

Haven't really used it much lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How many have tried putting these in a wooded area? Thinking of placing one just off a deer trail through the small section of hardwoods, and near a scrape and stand.

I'm mostly worried about squirrels at this point.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah...I may have to get some wire to out over the top. Probably should do that sooner than later.
I switched from the All Season to the Boss Buck 3 or 4 years ago, because the Boss Buck tubes have a larger lip and less feed gets wasted. The squirrels haven’t bothered them until just recently, but they ate a hole the size of a baseball in short order. I generally don’t shoot squirrels, but I may wage war now.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Try a spike strip on top on the plastic feeder to keep the critters off and away.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
21 - 40 of 46 Posts