Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked and got drawn for antelope. Can't believe it. Has anyone ever got drawn for this? Someone told me you still have to pay a landowner a trespass fee to hunt. Which I think is BS. Anyone know the scoop ? I will call the game warden in Cimaron Co and see what he says. I think the grasslands up there are public and have speed goats there.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Congrats I take it the draw results have been posted then.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Well all be darned I got drawn for a ML eithor sex hunt at Grady County WMA for Oct 22-30.

Well I hope I'm still around and can do it.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Congrats..I drew the see you next year page.
2 of my co workers drew the same.

This is only the second time in my life I have ever been drawn. Good thing it wasn't for an elk hunt considering I may not be here to even do this one.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Okmulgee WMA 2 deer (one antlered) here I come 19-20 Nov!!!!!
Congrads Bull & Smoke! I got drawn back in '03 for antelope but had a trip to the desert that foiled it and now it's a one time draw. I'd heard the same about the tresspass fee but some folks tell me that you can find some free land to hunt. I've got a buddy that lives in Tyron in the panhandle and I'll ask him what he knows.
Good luck all!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Congrats to all that drew a hunt. Another year drawing a blank. :'( :'(
Smoke I'm friends with Capt. Tracy Daniel ODW supervisor/warden for NW part of the state. He has gone to the panhandle for 10 years or so to help with the hunt. He told me that if a guy doesn't want to pay a trespass fee, there are speed goats on the Rita Blanca Grasslands.
As I understand it, when you check in out there, there will be ranchers that have land to day lease. Some are reasonable, and some are not. I don't know what the prices run.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well crap!! I just saw it's doe only. I'm definitely not paying a trespass fee for a doe. Dennis let me know if your buddy can hook me up with someone he knows. You to Bird.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Well crap!! I just saw it's doe only. I'm definitely not paying a trespass fee for a doe. Dennis let me know if your buddy can hook me up with someone he knows. You to Bird.
Keep in mind and I may be wrong here but in the reg book the black cheek patch determines a buck or doe. The example they show for both buck and doe has gear up top identifying the cheek patch. IMO if it has gear its a buck. Yes genetics linger from time to time and a doe will have a rack but I only heard of that in whitetail.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
First time to put in over 10 years & drew nothing.
Yet, Good news- I finally get to hunt Elk since 1995. Also it is a 2 Elk zone . :D :D
Looks like the elk rifle I was wanting, is gonna get bought. 338 Marlin Express. ;)

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I'll be seeing him this month sometime, and see what he has to say. I guess it varies every year what the ranchers want for a tresspass fee. Its so dry out there right now it might be a bargain, with failed crops, and no grass for cattle.

I've never looked, but wonder if a person could log on to the guymon newpaper, and put in an ad, or look in the classifieds for people advertizing a hunt??

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Isn't there an antelope archery season as well that you don't have to draw out for? If so it might be a good idea to take a little jaunt (I know it take forrrrrever to get out there) to get set up for the gun hunt. Plus might get a good muley as well.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Your correct. Over the counter tags are available for speed goats. I'd forgot about that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am pretty stoked as well, I got drawn for the one and only Elk tag for the Pushmataha WMA. What is funny is my brother and I always put in for the deer hunts together and we never get drawn but this year he got drawn for the either sex gun hunt at the Lexington WMA. That means if I hadn't drawn the elk hunt I would have gotten drawn for the deer hunt along with him this year,

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Travvyb congrats on the lucky elk tag. Also WELCOME to the forum. Don't be stanger and tell us a bit about yourself. We got an introduction thread under the Tavern section.

Anyone else get drawn this year that aint spoken up?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Travvyb, you should have bought a lottery ticket the same day as the drawing!! Good luck on the hunt and welcome to the site.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Anther big welcome to Travvyb! If I were you, I'd be buying some lotto tickets with your luck. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, I would have replied before today but my Ipad wouldn't allow me to post. Anyway thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Hey Smoke, taked to my buddy from Tyron. He said that most of the land owners would most likely let you hunt for free. Said that they eat some sort of weed and then come into their feilds and poop the weed seed and it'll go crazy in the wheat feilds. I'm thinking of going up to the panhandle and try an cross bow hunt over a stock water tank.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
That sounds really interesting Bird ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts