Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@TheDoubleD

I want to preface this post by stating that I actually know "The Hooligan" a little bit, and like the guy. I was the one that sent him the .50 BMG incendiary and tracer rounds for the couple videos. He does a much better job on production than I do. In NO WAY do I think he is incompetent, and I quite enjoy watching his stuff.

That being said, there are several drawbacks to the use of digital night vision when it comes to killing things. I covered those in depth in a post not too long ago, but will reiterate a couple key points to save some searching. 1. Observation distance is a fraction of what you get with thermal. 2. Depending on conditions, you will get a significant reduction in visibility from particles in the air immediately after firing. It is very similar to the loss of situational awareness after shooting a black powder rifle...except you're in the dark and trying to look through a TV screen.

This video is an excellent example of why I would not use digital night vision if I were hunting alone, or not in a secure stand well above potential danger. The Hooligan did quite well all things considered, but losing track of pigs coming at you is a great way to get to practice your tourniquet application skills in the dark.

Yep, thermal starts at about 3x the price and goes up...but what is your safety worth? Obviously my whole point is moot if you're sitting in a tree stand or above ground blind...so to clarify: There is a time and place for digital night vision, you just need to take other considerations into account.

Again, good job to him, and I'm glad he stacked some pigs.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
I've never met the guy personally but have exchanged messages with him in the past. He posts a lot of videos on OSA. The Thermal you use is certainly far superior to what I was watching in the video.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
Hooligan is a good guy never met him as Dennis has stated but have had conversation by pm I need to get into this thermal gig
I'd be in it in a heartbeat but we just don't have pigs around here or at the farms where I could use one.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Hooligan is indeed a good guy.

I just got a bit anxious watching that video as I lost track of the pigs (and I wasn't even there). It reminded me of a couple posts we had made recently about the pros and cons of digital night vision vs thermal...and this video is an excellent visual example of the cons of digital night vision...that is all.

Yeah thermal rocks, but it is pretty darn spendy. It certainly isn't for the budget minded, who will only use it a couple times per year.

Just got done killing a couple more pigs a few minutes ago. Going to take a few days to put the video together...a ton of damage, but the pigs wouldn't die. I'm going to have to figure out what shots did what.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that Sightmarkscope you recommended is a digital. Is it not?
It is. You are correct Sir. With the Sightmark, you'll get better scanning ability with an aftermarket illuminator (basically an IR flashlight that attaches to the scope). Can see to 150-200 that way.

Again, I'm not trying to "throw shade" or diminish anyone else's video. I probably shouldn't have even posted it...

However, I think that The Hooligan's video provides a much, much more realistic view as to what you can and will experience while out hunting with digital NV. All too often guys provide video showcasing only the most ideal conditions. Frequently, you won't find yourself in those conditions though...and figuring it out while you have several scared and pissed off hogs coming your way is a bad time to discover such things.

Digital night vision gets you in the game though. I just wanted to provide a visual as to what its shortcomings are.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I agree about stalking with digital nv. I really don't feel that's a great idea with hogs. Heck, I've been rushed by scattering pigs with thermal and had some sneak up on me. I've zoomed in too far when the shooting started and didn't realize they were running towards us until the last second. It's no fun taking your eye off the viewfinder to zoom your scope out when hogs are running at you.

We cut open on a sounder of pigs at 5 yards once. It was at a fence corner and thanks to a little berm and a perfect wind, we could almost see them in pitch black darkness, we were so close when we started shooting. Only a shot or two and they were too close and too scattered to see on the screen. One ran right between my buddy and I, we were only a few feet apart. We had to pause and find them running away then Texas heart shot a few. The one that ran between us was a sow, a 200+lb Hampshire cross. My buddy (using .223 at the time) shot her twelve times before she stopped moving. Unrelated note: he doesn't use 223 anymore.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
You could always contact someone who traps them and have them release a couple hundred on your land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ha! Ha!. No chance in hell.
I'm totally fine with zero pigs.
Around 5 years ago GW was notified there were 15 piglets captured on game cam right on the county line. He and the landowner put up a trap and got all 15.
Up until that time, our county was the only one in the state that had no pigs. It made the list after that with the other 76 counties that had reported populations.
We had an elderly landowner lady that had some pot belly pigs near us years ago. Some got out but one of the ranch hands with a cow dog managed to get every one of them. Not many trees for cover there so the dog would see them from the feed truck out in the wheat fields and go after them. He would bite them on the nose and hold them until the hand could head shoot with a .22 pistol.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I think I am missing something here.

I think I see the issue here as when the pigs scatter, you never know which direction they are going, and one of those directions might be straight at you.

The part I don't understand is why would that be less dangerous/scarey with a thermal vs Digital scope?

Current plan is to sit a ground blind at one location. At the other location monitor the cameras from the cabin until they show up or I fall asleep, which ever comes first, then put a sneak on them.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I was watching the video and with the digital sight the view wasn't very clear to me. In Diggler's videos the thermal gives you a better sight picture and makes it easier to track your target. I now the thermal cost more but I could afford it that would be the route I would take.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I am missing something here.

I think I see the issue here as when the pigs scatter, you never know which direction they are going, and one of those directions might be straight at you.

The part I don't understand is why would that be less dangerous/scarey with a thermal vs Digital scope?

Current plan is to sit a ground blind at one location. At the other location monitor the cameras from the cabin until they show up or I fall asleep, which ever comes first, then put a sneak on them.
The answer as to why a thermal is lesss dangerous or scary is a combination of a couple key points: Easier to pick up (contrast) fast moving objects when you're also swinging a gun, typically a larger field of view, and no "dust out" when you happen to be firing directly into/away from the wind.

I've had two boars come back at me when I first started this (using 5.56). Both times was able to keep them easily in the crosshairs and pump them with a 5-6 round burst. Both times they died within 25 yards of me. I'm sure you had a few unnerving moments on safari that altered how you approach a hunt...its the same with me and hogs.

·
Administrator
16,037 Posts
I believe the list of counties with no pigs is down to Grant and Alfalfa, and I’m not sure about Kay.
Kay has lots of pigs. Mainly around Kaw Lake.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts