Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
We just don't have pig terrain. I can look North as far as the eye can see and not a tree in sight in most areas.
The old saying is that there is nothing between us and the North Pole but barbed wire fences and the wind blew the barbs off years ago.........

·
Registered
176 Posts
We just don't have pig terrain. I can look North as far as the eye can see and not a tree in sight in most areas.
The old saying is that there is nothing between us and the North Pole but barbed wire fences and the wind blew the barbs off years ago.........
I seen a pig run over on hwy 60 about 10 east of McCord this last summer it was prairie with a little creek running through it

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
I seen a pig run over on hwy 60 about 10 east of McCord this last summer it was prairie with a little creek running through it
They say there are pigs a few miles south of where we live along the Arkansas River. UPS drivers and Mail lady tell me about them but for some reason they have never made it to where we live.
I do fully expect one morning to get up and have our lawn destroyed even worse than the danged gophers, moles and armadillo's have it currently, but it hasn't happened so far.

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
They say there are pigs a few miles south of where we live along the Arkansas River. UPS drivers and Mail lady tell me about them but for some reason they have never made it to where we live.
I do fully expect one morning to get up and have our lawn destroyed even worse than the danged gophers, moles and armadillo's have it currently, but it hasn't happened so far.
They show up in your yard and you’ll be hunting from a chair on the roof.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
They show up in your yard and you’ll be hunting from a chair on the roof.
What will most likely will happen is that I'll tell the neighbors I'm the pig exterminator, set up traps and go from there. I can set up with internet cams and a drop gate I can trigger from home without being there. Some of the land around us is corporate owned, so getting permission may be tough there but not impossible.
Company from Taiwan owns 300 some acres.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The Arrowhead ranch east of you has a bunch of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
The Arrowhead ranch east of you has a bunch of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s the ranch I worked on when a teen.
Elmon And Ranger are gone. Who runs it now?
You can Pm me.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
It is. You are correct Sir. With the Sightmark, you'll get better scanning ability with an aftermarket illuminator (basically an IR flashlight that attaches to the scope). Can see to 150-200 that way.

Digital night vision gets you in the game though. I just wanted to provide a visual as to what its shortcomings are.
So to start, use the Sightmark. Okay. As to an after market ilumminator-IR flashlight, what do you suggest?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So to start, use the Sightmark. Okay. As to an after market ilumminator-IR flashlight, what do you suggest?
Probably something in the 940nm wavelength. 850nm gets the job done, but your light gives off are glow. The 940 puts off about 1/10th the glow...so it is harder for game to detect.

As far as which brand, I have never ran any of them, but I've heard positive things before about 'Snioer Hog Lights'.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think I am missing something here.

I think I see the issue here as when the pigs scatter, you never know which direction they are going, and one of those directions might be straight at you.

The part I don't understand is why would that be less dangerous/scarey with a thermal vs Digital scope?

Current plan is to sit a ground blind at one location. At the other location monitor the cameras from the cabin until they show up or I fall asleep, which ever comes first, then put a sneak on them.
Elaborating on what diggler said, I totally agree with what he said. It also is a difference in how thermals and night vision work which makes a difference. Thermals detect heat and create an image in the view finder. Night vision simply enhances light, so you can see in the dark. If a pig runs through brush or tall grass, unless it is super thick, you can still detect heat through brush and tall grass and see the animal. Night vision only enhances light and if a pig runs behinds something, you cannot see it, much like with a naked eye. Also, night vision detects shadows as well. If you shine an illuminator at a tree, it casts a shadow behind the tree and you cannot see it in the night scope. Thermals, there's no such thing as a shadow. This can make a difference when tracking a running animal. Also, the body temperature of a hog typically shines like a beacon in a view finder bc the hottest item in the field of view is the brightest. There's no mistaking a shadow, tree stump, tractor tire, for a hog like you could potentially do with night vision to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Elaborating on what diggler said, I totally agree with what he said. It also is a difference in how thermals and night vision work which makes a difference. Thermals detect heat and create an image in the view finder. Night vision simply enhances light, so you can see in the dark. If a pig runs through brush or tall grass, unless it is super thick, you can still detect heat through brush and tall grass and see the animal. Night vision only enhances light and if a pig runs behinds something, you cannot see it, much like with a naked eye. Also, night vision detects shadows as well. If you shine an illuminator at a tree, it casts a shadow behind the tree and you cannot see it in the night scope. Thermals, there's no such thing as a shadow. This can make a difference when tracking a running animal. Also, the body temperature of a hog typically shines like a beacon in a view finder bc the hottest item in the field of view is the brightest. There's no mistaking a shadow, tree stump, tractor tire, for a hog like you could potentially do with night vision to the untrained eye.
Elaborating on Archer's elaboration...

I think that this is one of the best night vision versus thermal videos out there. Please keep in mind that digital night vision isn't as good as the 3rd generation NV stuff (but it is cheaper).

Night vision has its places still...it'll keep you from walking into holes better, and if you're trying to discern coyote from neighbor's dog...it is almost impossible with thermal.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Elaborating on Archer's elaboration...

I think that this is one of the best night vision versus thermal videos out there. Please keep in mind that digital night vision isn't as good as the 3rd generation NV stuff (but it is cheaper).

Night vision has its places still...it'll keep you from walking into holes better, and if you're trying to discern coyote from neighbor's dog...it is almost impossible with thermal.
I forgot Todd made that video. Spot on illustration.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Now I want one to just walk through the woods with.
I've got a cheap, commie block, gen 1 monocular on a skull crusher mount that's perfect for just walking in the woods. On half-moon nights or better you don't need the illuminator just for walking around, administrative tasks. It's better than the naked eye for sure. In pitch black darkness the onboard illuminator is enough for 15-20' out in front of you. It's relatively cheap and it works. If you're serious about it and want to use it a lot, I wouldn't buy less than Gen 2 American made tubes.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts