Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone here has been involved with the WHIP provided by ODWC? Dennis?

Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program | Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (wildlifedepartment.com)

Wildlife Habitat Improvement Program (wildlifedepartment.com)

We bought 320 acres in Okfuskee County almost 2 years ago and considering this program. We have food plots but would like to see what effect improving the native habitat would have on our deer and turkey population. Definitely know that we could thin out some of the heavy forested areas of oak trees to help. Looks like we're too late for 2022 as the cutoff was Dec 31st.

Any input or feedback would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I’ve talked to the local NRCS guy about getting my place in their wetland program, but according to the website, it’s now closed.

This ODWC program might be a good alternative.
Thanks for posting. (y)

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
The WHIP program is great if you qualify for it.
Some is free, some is cost share with the landowner. Put in your application to the ODW. You’ll be contacted by the area biologist to do a site survey. Used to always be in person but now they may use satellite imagery. I don’t know.
There is a lot of money flowing into the ODW right now from the Pittman-Robertson Act so it’s not like they don’t have money.
If your accepted into the program they will give the landowner an estimate of what costs will be.
If everyone agrees, there is a 10 year contract. There is a maximum payout per year during that 10 year period. It used to be $4000.00 a year depending on what needs done. May be more now though.
It’s been awhile since I applied for it, but that’s what I remember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts