1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
My dad now has a S&W .38 spl (T-handle break open) that my mothers dad got from a Sears & Roebuck catalog for about $10. My folks have the catalog that he bought if from that has the gun circled. To this day we only know of 4 shots being fired with it. Its a 5 shot gun.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! thats a true collectors item. I hope it gets passed down to you. ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Actually Dennis I remember when 50 or 60 dollars would buy a really nice pistol and I'm sure you do also..The problem was, I was making 2.50 an hour or 100 dollars a week..So, for myself at least, I would rather they be the price they are and have the wages I make now..I guess it all averages out about the same. Nice guns though...they remind me of my Colt Commando..only made a couple of years in the early 40's I believe..

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a friend sent it to me in an email. I'm not sure where he got it.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
And what would also be nice....being able to buy guns and ammo at Sears, OTASCO, TG&Y or any mom and pop hardware store. Can you imagine what it'd be like to be able to go to Lowes and buy a new shotgun or 30-30?

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those were the days. Every hardware store had a gun rack by the counter, with them for sale.
I was at the store where I bought my first gun in 1962 the other day(browning dealer) the gun rack was still in the same place, right by the front door. The son runs it now, but doesn't keep any guns in the rack. I told him my story, and pointed to the slot where the .410 was sitting the day I brought my $17.50 in with my dad to buy it.
He said he has left that rack there for the story's he hears about guns being sold that were in that rack. ;D

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Funny how Oklahoma has changed just in my lifetme. Back then people weren't scared of guns, they were a tool on the farm, recreation and most importantly, a source of putting food on the table. Now days the grocery store, urban kids are skeert to death of guns. Oh yeah, Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!!!! ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought my first gun, a Winchester model 67A single shot, at the Seiling Hardware in Seiling, OK in 1956. I was 13 yrs old, walked in put my $23.95 on the counter for the rifle no questions asked. The rifle is still a tack driver when I can line up the sights with tri focals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.