Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the the drought this year, I was wondering if it would be wise to hunt along a trail that leads to water? Or should I hunt like I normaly hunt?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Re: Would it be wise to hunt deer the season near a water?

Hunt the water...They are all needing water with such limited supply.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts

I'd zero in one the one or two oak trees that have acorns on them as well. With the drought, not very many acorns this fall, so the ones (espically white oaks) that are making should be a good place.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

When I head out in the morning I'm mostly out to scout for the ML season but hope to get lucky nuntheless.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts

I heard the acorns are going to be in short supply for those that have oaks in their area.

Baby, to answer your question, I have a stand that is within sight of a pond. The only pond in a 2 sq mile area. I see a few deer tracks in the mud around it, but not what one would suspect. I have seen them standing in it during the summer like cows do, but not often.

I think they get a lot of their water from the forage they are eating, and dew on the grass, etc.
Personally, I'd do my scouting in the area, and let the deer tell you where to hunt.

·
Registered
840 Posts

I have 6 ponds on my property, and all but 1 still have water in them. The oaks around my ladder stand, even the one the ladder stand was in, were dropping acorns like crazy this morning, and there was a lot of dew this morning as well. I don't know where to sit this afternoon. I may try the same place this afternoon, and the hang-on stand tomorrow morning. Maybe the ladder stand is an evening spot!?

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

All the oaks I saw had acorns on them. Of the 8 ponds I scouted all had little deer sign. I didn't see a single deer scat. The deer I did see weren't anywhere near water.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts

Where deer get their water has always been a puzzle to me. I hunt in the semi-arid part of the state, with few watering holes, and we probably have one of the largest deer populations because of all of the agriculture.

I've always thought it has to be from their food.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

I did notice that the ground around all the ponds was really hard so it may be that because of that they aren't leaving any tracks behind. One thing I can say is the area I went to was over run with yots and raccoons. I seen their tracks everywhere.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts

Even if the pond is dried up, at the edge of the water, their should be tracks if the deer are coming to water.

If you get within 10' of my semi dried up pond, you will sink in and leave evidence. This is why I think deer don't need a water hole.

Another thing. We had a drought worse than this one in the 90's. I put out watering stations and put trail cameras on them to see what the deer would do.

Never got a deer pic, even though the watering stations were within 10' of a feeder. Got lots of **** pics enjoying the hot tub though. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

2 of the ponds you would sink if you got within 5 feet of the water line yet they had little of any kind of tracks. All the others you could walk right up to the water and leave a trace of a print or nothing at all. But the 2' withing the water you could see where animals had walked but couldn't make out what.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Same here. I guess in around 40 years of deer hunting I've never seen a deer take a drink at a pond. I always figure they either get most of their water from the forage or do their drinking at night. Another thing I've noticed this year, in the area around my stand all the acorns I've picked up and cut open were rotten..They look good until you cut into them..

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

I haven't seen any acorns on the ground yet.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts

They sure use the ponds for water around here with all the agriculture.
A few years back when allowed to hunt deer on a spot just for dove hunting only.
I had close to 100 deer come in that morning for water. A buck & a doe hit the dirt then went in the back of the truck.
The Elk like the farm ponds as well along with the turkey & hogs.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts

They sure use the ponds for water around here with all the agriculture.
A few years back when allowed to hunt deer on a spot just for dove hunting only.
I had close to 100 deer come in that morning for water. A buck & a doe hit the dirt then went in the back of the truck.
The Elk like the farm ponds as well along with the turkey & hogs.
Wow! A hundred deer would certainly be a sight to see.

Must be something different about the terrain or something, as we are pretty much 99% agriculture around here as well, and have never seen a deer at water.

There are lots of hunters that don't see a hundred deer in their lifetime, much less than on one day.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts

Seeing some acorns fall from the blackjack trees, they are tiny but are good on the inside. There may be hope afterall.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts

Dennis- that has been the most deer,I have seen ever in Oklahoma in a one day time frame let alone just one morning.
Since the only water sheds close by are farm ponds & Winter wheat along with Milo are the main for food source.
This one mile track of land might be the best in the that area.
Deer by the hundreds- travel threw UTAH & you will see hundreds of Mule Deer on either side of the high way.
Went their with a buddy once & we couldn't count all the Mule deer on just one side let alone the other side of that high way.
Needless to say up the road is where we hunted & limited out all in first 30 minutes of legal shooting time that next morning.
UTAH- Has been the state to see hundreds of deer just about every day...Flipping mind blowing.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

I remember a hog hunt I did out in Cali up near Monteray in which we saw like 5-6 groups of deer with 10-15 each at the same time in a 360 circle around us. Was in Feb so no telling bucks and does apart from a distance. I'll never forget that hunt as I was sitting against a rock ledge over looking a pond and had a tree on my left that grew up the rock face. I seen several deer come up the trail. I had my left leg stretched out in front of me. The lead doe actually stepped over my leg as my whole upper body was blocked by the tree. She turned and saw me after stepping over my leg and was 100y away before she hit the ground. I could have grabbed her leg if I wanted to. If I had only had a camera to get a shot of her face.

·
Registered
451 Posts

I was lucky enough to hunt the old Groendyke ranch west of geary for several years. A good friend of mine was one of the ranch hands, and if the deer were moving good it was not uncommon to see 100+ out the windows of the feed truck in a day. I have seen over 50 on one wheat field at one time. I sure miss that place!! :'( :'( :'(

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts

I would too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts