Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they don’t count for points in the contest, but the hardest thing I’ve ever trapped outside of a coyote is moles in the yard.
Coming home from our summer trip the lawn was so destroyed by moles and armadillos that it was hard to recognize it as a lawn.
Posted a pic of my lawn roller last night behind the ATC. I have to press down the existing tunnels to find the new ones.
Success! Got one late last night after two weeks of rolling and moving traps.

Yard rolled again today, new tunnel appeared within an hour. 4 traps set.
Killed 4 armadillos since getting home as well. Every one of them has made it into a burrow or expired under a building. The smell was pretty ripe around the out buildings for a couple weeks, but no more diller digging which makes it worth it.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Have your tried smoke bombs on the ?

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
You need to get an industrial sized bottle of acetylene and pump those tunnels full then light it off with a flame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can see this as Dennis now lol

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to get an industrial sized bottle of acetylene and pump those tunnels full then light it off with a flame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's what my buddy wants to do. When I suggested he try it on his manicured lawn first, he decided it wasn't such a great Idea.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can see this as Dennis now lol

There are pictures out there of something very similar. When stationed in Korea we had some very poisonous snakes in our area that had no antivenom.
Get bit, your dead.
Opening the back door to the Operations building one day to take a whizz on our mountaintop site, one was stretched across the concrete outside the door. It quickly took off and made its way into a hole adjacent to the footing of a 400' tall microwave tower.
I had seen in an Ourdoor life magazine that my parents sent to me where guys were taking gasoline, pouring it down prairie dog holes that had been taken over by rattlesnakes, causing them to come out of the holes for capture.
So dumb arse me goes to the POL, gets a gallon of gasoline and pours it down the hole.
Nothing happened. A half hour later nothing happened. A group of us were standing around waiting. I finally reached down to the hole with my zippo and lit it.
A very similar explosion occurred. In the pic my feet are 2' in the air amid the debris.
Scared the crap out of us as we thought the tower might come down with one leg compromised, but as GI's are pretty ingenious in covering up their awshits, we got dirt back in there, found grass to transplant, and it was all covered up.
The statute of limitations has passed now, so I can relate this story. :p

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad as pigs!
Just about. Found the secret to trapping them I’d have to roll the ground flat with the 3 wheeler and check for rebuilt tunnels the next morning.
Then set the traps.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dennis, some one stole a wheel off your ATV....:LOL:
I’ve got a 4 wheeler, but nothing beats three making tight turns with that roller or on tight trail rides.
That beast is 36 years old. Still on the original engine and drive line. Honda built them to last.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Been in a fight with some moles myself.

Bought a pair of Gopher Hawk traps, but I'm probably not setting them in the right way because I've only caught one so far.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Y’all ever try the smoke bombs? I used to use them with success especially under my old shed.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been in a fight with some moles myself.

Bought a pair of Gopher Hawk traps, but I'm probably not setting them in the right way because I've only caught one so far.
I've tried many traps over the years with almost zero success. My dogs were the best at finding them until learning the secret of rolling out the old tunnels and setting some traps my buddy let me borrow to catch 4 of the 5 that were trapped.
Amazon.com : Victor Out O' Sight Mole Trap, Below Ground Rodent Trap, 4 Pack : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Man, those things work great and are easy to set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts