Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No photo, not like you don't know what they look like. Soured corn only again.

That is either 13 or 14 in the month of August (thermal shooting too) and I literally haven't even touched the eastern half of the ranch yet.

No wonder the turkey population has gone to crap.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
No photo, not like you don't know what they look like. Soured corn only again.

That is either 13 or 14 in the month of August (thermal shooting too) and I literally haven't even touched the eastern half of the ranch yet.

No wonder the turkey population has gone to crap.
Kill’m and then kill’m some more. Im betting you got double that running around your place on any given night.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Way to keep after them.
My trapping is going to get started here pretty quick.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Going to be trying out my new traps this weekend - will post how it goes. I think I'll set 3 traps on a feeder that isn't hit as heavy by deer then sit another feeder with my .22 rifle and hope to bag a couple there also.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Going to be trying out my new traps this weekend - will post how it goes. I think I'll set 3 traps on a feeder that isn't hit as heavy by deer then sit another feeder with my .22 rifle and hope to bag a couple there also.
Happy hunting

·
Registered
163 Posts
Set 3 traps, got 3 raccoons! One of them had both hands caught. They do some serious damage trying to get out of those traps! One just about had the rebar pulled all the way out. I think he was exhausted by the time I got there in the morning. I think if I do it a couple more times at different feeders then my corn usage should start dropping.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Only a doe that came in then wind swirled and she snorted at me a few times....eerily similar to when I'm in my stand! Plus, I had been out in the heat all day and come 6 pm was ready for a cold beverage and shower. only stayed about 30 mins after feeder went off.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Set 3 traps, got 3 raccoons! One of them had both hands caught. They do some serious damage trying to get out of those traps! One just about had the rebar pulled all the way out. I think he was exhausted by the time I got there in the morning. I think if I do it a couple more times at different feeders then my corn usage should start dropping.
Earth anchors will prevent the rebar problem. I've lost many traps using rebar. They fight it so hard that they finally pull out the rod.
A buddy uses T Posts as a drag anchor. Just lay a T post on the ground and tie the trap to it in the middle. They won't go far before the T post gets tangled in the brush.
Here is a link to the earth anchors I use.
Amazon.com : the CHISEL Earth Anchor Kit - 3.5" - 12 Anchors + Drive Rod - Anchor Cable 35" 1/8" - Drive - 29" Long : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks guys for the anchor recommendation. I see some on Amazon that I can use the Dewalt to screw into the ground which may be the way to go.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
I picture me and the Dewalt spinning around in circles while the anchor just stays in place stuck in the clay! :)
That was me and my buddy 2 weeks ago putting 8” lag bolts into a pine tree for tree stand steps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts