Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favorite or go-to powders that you use for say rifle and pistol?
Do you have certain powders you use with a certain brand of bullet vs bullet weight?

I’ve now acquired 10x 1lb cans of various powders to tinker with and talking with other reloaders they like a certain powder for a variety of uses vs a variety of powders for specific uses.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I’m a big fan of Varget in 308 and 9.3x62, H4350 in 300 Win Mag, IMR7828 for 270 Win and 9.3x74r, Titegroup for 45 acp, and Trail Boss for 38 special and 44 special.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I use Varget in .223 and 22-250, H-4350 in 30-06 and .270 back in the day but use Reloader 19 now. Reloader 17 for the two 6mm WSSM rifles.
Unique for any centerfire pistol loads for moderate velocity. H-110 for .44 magnum.
.45 and .40 range loads I use Winchester WST which is a shotgun powder but works well for mild pistol loads.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve been looking for some Alliant AR Comp but that’s nearly impossible around here. IMR seems to be the easiest brand to find. Mostly handgun powders seem to be the big supply on the shelf.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I bought an 8 lb jug of Unique. It's a universal powder for shotgun and pistol loads. Probably the most universal powder out there.
It had a reputation of being a dirty powder back in the day, leaving lots of residue and so on, but it's been reformulated and is much cleaner now. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Just loaded a couple hundred range power .44 magnums with it using Berry's plated bullets. They shoot fine without a lot of recoil.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought an 8 lb jug of Unique. It's a universal powder for shotgun and pistol loads. Probably the most universal powder out there.
It had a reputation of being a dirty powder back in the day, leaving lots of residue and so on, but it's been reformulated and is much cleaner now. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Just loaded a couple hundred range power .44 magnums with it using Berry's plated bullets. They shoot fine without a lot of recoil.
I’ve seen several YouTube videos featuring those Berry’s bullets in I believe .223 and .308. They didn’t shoot half bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I’ve seen several YouTube videos featuring those Berry’s bullets in I believe .223 and .308. They didn’t shoot half bad.
The thing with berry's bullets is that they are plated, not jacketed. Suitable for range ammo, not anything high velocity. Basically a lead bullet flashed with some copper.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Somebody saw the writing on the wall 9 years ago after Sandy Hook. Both footlockers are full.

If I really wanted to flex, I'd show my primer stash...😄
My primer stash is pretty heavy as well. I learned years ago during the primer shortage to buy cheap and stock deep.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wife and I were discussing this at dinner tonight. She’s starting to see the light of need to start a war chest of sorts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wife and I were discussing this at dinner tonight. She’s starting to see the light of need to start a war chest of sorts.
Have one of those too. Loaded ammo ready to use.

Having powder and primers is pretty useless of something broke out. Nobody is going to give you the time to get over to your press and start weighing charges.

However, after everything becomes unobtainium, I want to continue to kill hogs, harvest wildlife, and train my children.

An ammo can with desiccant and a couple hundred rounds for each combat weapon will suffice. None of us are John Rambo...none of us will make it more than a few magazines anyway.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My primer stash is pretty heavy as well. I learned years ago during the primer shortage to buy cheap and stock deep.
My biggest regret is not buying more.

I found Federal 215s (large rifle magnums) on Midway yesterday. They wanted $75/1000, but IF you can find them on an auction site they still command $200+/1000.

I bought my limit of 1000. I hate spending that kind of money, but Federal 215s was my weak spot in my stash. It still is, but now I have enough to last me the duration of my 7mm Rem Mag.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For both my .50 & .54 in-line ML’s I’ve also been buying black powder (Goex FFg) and substitutes (Pyrodex) as well. Loose and sticks it doesn’t matter. I’ll clean Walmart’s shelves of ML bullets later in the year when they sell it all off. I probably should get some #209s as well.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I need to buy more black powder. It's very versatile and easily ignited.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to buy more black powder. It's very versatile and easily ignited.
Made for a great big boom when packed into one of those old single roll film canisters and then a wick added.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts