Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone going out with their kid this weekend. Me and the boy are gonna go out and see if he cant get him a big fat doe, or maybe a big fat buck. Gonna let him shoot my new 6.8 SPC AR-15. Hes all excited. He cant wait to be the first one to get a kill with the new rifle.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Good luck for your son!

The AR platform with its low recoil, and "coolness" with the younger crowd is one of the factors of making that platform the biggest selling in the market.

Its more than enough gun for the job at hand ;D

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's even cooler is it kicks no more than the 223.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Good luck to your son. Hope he baggs a biggen.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm taking the crossbow too. Can't let him have all the fun. ;)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I'm likin' that 6.8 in the AR rig. Should be just what the doc ordered. Good luck to y'all.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tango Down. We werent in the blind 5 minutes and I looked out the window and saw deer legs in the timber. I told my boy to get ready. I told him it was a doe, and we got the rifle up on the shooting sticks. She came right down the trail in front of the blind and gave him the prettiest 10yrd broadside shot. He nailed her right in the shoulder. She turned and ran. But I told him I was certain I heard her crash. We got out and found her about 30 yards to the East. Dad couldnt have been happier. Not sure if him or me was more excited. We got back in the blind since it was only 1800hrs. We spot another doe coming from the other direction. I told him it was my turn. We switched places and I readied the crossbow. This doe came within 10yrds. but was behind some trees. She saw the blind, turned, blew 1 time, and bounded off. She didnt go very far. She went back over near the fence and kept feeding. Watched her until dark. Just at dark a 6pt buck came into the field. He couldnt get a shot cause he couldtnt see over the high weeds. Hoping he comes back tonight a little earlier. When we went to get the doe there was an Dillo I had to take out with the FN 5.7 ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
RIGHT ON!!!!

Congrats to the lil man on a fine doe.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Awesome hunt guys, congrads to father & son!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Took out my buddies (and the camp cook) boy Logan. We got out to the blind and right about dark some bucks come out to the feeder. He is fixing to take one out when a nice 9pt walks out and I get him on that one. It was his first buck but 3rd deer and he dropped it. Pretty awesome

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yee Haw. He got his first buck this morning around 0930hrs. We were sitting in the blind when we saw 5 bucks up on the hillside, 1 real good shooter, 2 fighting/sparring. We decided to make something happen. I told him if they were pushing each other around, they should come to rattling. I watched big boy bed down just below the crest of the hill 500 yards off. The rest followed. Up the hill we went. We stopped often to glass and I could still see them wandering around. I got as close as i thought we dared and got him set up on his shooting sticks. I burried myself up inside a cedar tree and grunted several times and lightly tickle the rattle bag. Sure enough, I see Mr. Forky look over the hill. He started down the hill. I guess big boy sent him to recon the area ;) . He slowly worked his way down the hill with a little coaxing from the grunt tube and bag. I can see hes coming right to us. I ask my son if he can see him yet. He says yes, but just his back and head. Buck keeps coming. Im telling him to flip the magnifier to the side cause hes not going to need it, and that the buck is fixing to walk into his lap. Finally at probably a little less than 20 yards he walks into the clear. Im whispering for him to put the dot on his shoulder and squeeeeeeeeze the trigger. BOOM, perfect hit. I see impact and the buck ran around another cedar outa sight. I assurred him that he made a fatal hit. His hands were shaking. I so proud. He kept his cool with a buck walking up to him. We went looking and I could see him laying. I had him find blood and follow it. I just acted like I didnt see it. I let him walk up on him and find him. He was excited to say the least. After lots of high 5s, the work began.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heres one of Dead Eye in his lair ;)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took this with my iphone through the Holosight. Looks pretty cool. The hill its pointing at is where the 5 bucks were.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot to ask, do my boys deers count for the contest?????????? ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Congrats to the boy YET agian.

I asked earlier on when we started the contest if we was gonna have one for the lil pups but got no yes/no about it.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Cool sets of pics! Man, he's a seasoned hunter now with a doe and a buck this season ;D

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Man it's going to take till next deer season to get that grin off his face!!!! Be sure to tell him we all sez nice shootin.

Been playing with our new Eotech sights and waiting on the 3x magnifier at work for our new M4's. Of course I had to see what it'd do on my AR here at the house. Think I'm gonna like them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts