Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Catching Dennis. Catching not killing. Catch and release. 😎

The fish in the front of the ranch where everyone fishes are bit harder to catch. The majority of the fish I caught were in two ponds at the back of the Ranch, that don’t see much traffic. The guy who coordinates the lease for us says he has fished most of the ponds out here, but never those two.
Most of the fish in those two ponds were small, so they may be over populated. Next time I will bring gear to filet and bring fish home.
Ponds need fish removed from them to grow bigger fish.
I’ve managed several ponds for folks that just put them in and think they are going to grow trophy bass by catch and release.
The entire concept of management is to remove the mid sized fish to allow the larger fish more forage. Catch and release only the biggest fish.
if the mid to smaller fish aren’t removed, they run out of bait fish and result into cannibalism of their own.
There has to be a balance of small bait fish to supply food to larger fish, otherwise the entire pond becomes stunted with 6-7” bass over time.
One can find a rough calculator with how many pounds of bass need to be removed annually on the ODW website that discusses this subject.
My memory without looking back says about 30 lbs of bass needs to be removed annually from a one acre pond.
My numbers may be off a bit but I was surprised at what they recommended

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
Glad you scored some off your pond.

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
You got a stock tank in the deer blind you fishing from or you put a stand in a tree over the pond?

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
You got a stock tank in the deer blind you fishing from or you put a stand in a tree over the pond?
I'd love a ground blind on a dock to fish while waiting on deer.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Vision care Smile Gesture Hat Beard
Shot these two trash bandits this morning. They were in the dumpster. Not a good picture but it will have to do.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Nice catch! That is a big green sunfish.

141 - 160 of 200 Posts